Center Evaluation Schedule
Only accessible on-campus or through VPN. Contact the REO Office for questions.
Goals of Evaluations
The purpose of evaluations is to ensure that the goals of our Centers and Institutes meet or exceed the mission of the School.
Some Centers and Institutes are not recommended for continuation, and these decisions aren’t unusual.
Reasons for Discontinuation
- Faculty interests
- Changing personnel
- Outside resource opportunities
- The life cycle of scholar activity
- Every five years, each center or institute receives a formal review.
- The appointment or re-appointment of a center director may occur during the consideration process.
Evaluation Oversight Committees
Memberships and Dean-Appointed Chair:
- Two SEHD center directors appointed by the Associate Dean for Research
- Associate Dean for Research
- Assistant Dean for Administrative Services
- Representative from the Faculty Advisory Council as selected by the Associate Dean for Research
- External individual with research center leadership experience. Appointed by the Department Head with input from the Center Director ($250 stipend)
- A faculty member for department-level centers. Nominated by the Associate Dean for Research in consultation with the department head.
- Are goals clearly defined for the center/institute?
- What value does the center/institute add to the department, college, university, state, and/or nation?
- Is the center/institute contributing to the goals of the school, department, or university?
- Is the center/institute generating external support?
- Is the center/institute involved in research, new knowledge development, knowledge application, and/or knowledge dissemination?
- Is the center/institute creating opportunities to support graduate students in SEHD?
- Is the center/institute promoting diversity?
- Has the center/institute made progress in accomplishing the stated goals?
- Is the current leadership effective?
- The Associate Dean for Research will request the center/institute director to take a self-assessment. October 1 is the assessment deadline.
- The director will use the online assessment form to respond to the evaluation criteria by March 1.
- The chair of the oversight committee will arrange for the committee to meet. They will respond to the self-evaluation online.
- Feedback is then submitted to the Dean.
- The dean will make a decision about the center and contact the director to review the report. Department Heads will also receive a copy of this communication.
- The Dean will submit a copy of the final review to the Division of Research.
- Terms of Appointment – Directors will be appointed and/or reappointed by the Dean in consultation with the department head.
- Selection Process – Prior to either an initial appointment or any subsequent reappointment to a new five-year term, the appointment under consideration will be reviewed, recommended, and/or approved by the Dean in consultation with the respective department head. The center director will receive a copy of the evaluation to note and implement recommendations made by the evaluation committee and/or dean.
- Performance Evaluations – Each director should receive annual performance reviews (e.g., A-2) in accordance with college and university policies and procedures.